Sunday 29 March 2009

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, no kidding!

During my weekly online recreational shopping hour, I stumbled across this intriguing novel: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. First I thought it was a joke and Austen's body (or the remains that is) would probably roll over in her grave upon hearing such sacrilegious concept but it's an actual adaptation of Jane Austen's classic or as the caption reads: "The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem" In this apparently kick-ass version a plague has fallen on Meryton, bringing the dead back to life. Our beloved heroine Elizabeth Bennet wages war against the zombies until Darcy get in the way, that is.

I finally read Pride and Prejudice a few weeks ago and really liked it despite the fact that I couldn't get Keira Knightley out of my head and although I'm not fond of adaptations, I can't help but get excited about this one for the simple reason that it's such an odd combination. Ok, my first reaction was 'what the f***?' followed by a shrieking 'why?' but ultimately I thought 'why the hell not?' In an age where we're remaking, revamping and regurgitating everything that was once bright, shiney and new, why not throw in a few zombies? It couldn't hurt, right?

Alas, I still have to wait a few weeks before I can get my hands on a copy but it has already gotten great reviews, even by literary buffs. Who knows, Darcy might end up giving his brain to Lizzie as the ultimate contemporary romantic gesture...

No comments: