Wednesday 11 March 2009

Ghost story

Even though I've had weeks to read it, I couldn't get myself to finish Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susannah Clarke which was our next book club assignment. I actually barely started meaning I never got past page 60 although I did try about four times. Somehow I simply couldn't get into it.

It's also a pattern that I've been developping the past few weeks. I start a new book almost daily and after a few pages I simply lose interest except for The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman which I read in two days and loved as I expected. Like Coraline, the book is aimed at young readers but not children per sé. It tells the story of a boy named Bod (short for Nobody) who was raised by the ghosts of a graveyard after his family was murdered. I highly recommend it to everyone who just wants to sit back and enjoy a good old-fashioned no nonsense ghost story and even those who don't like the genre (like me originally) will surely be pleasantly surprised. I can't help but notice that my taste in books has taken a 180° turn in a strange new direction seeing as the only books I'm finishing lately are either fantasy or illustrated and I'm loving both.

1 comment:

Leen said...

Strange&Norell is both fantasy (well, sort of) ánd illustrated. I'd say give it another go :).