Sunday 25 January 2009

Drama queen

Although there's always music playing on the background, I rarely listen to it. For some reason it's really hard for music to capture my full attention, the fact that I'm tone deaf might have something to do with it. If it doesn't have a distinct beat or melody I simply don't register it. The only way for me to recognize a song is through the lyrics seeing as music to me and I know I shouldn't say this is often just noise. This is especially embarrassing when your sweetheart is playing you a few songs on his guitar and you have to try your darndest to actually hear the difference but three plus years later I'm staring to get a hang of it.

Now don't get me wrong I love music but I'm just a little challenged in that area. This is also why I like my music either upbeat or very dramatic. I have to admit that I'm a drama queen in everything but I just love songs that slowly built up to an explosive gut-wrenching climax. Now there's something to hold on to. I also love slow melodic music, especially when I'm reading seeing as it calms me down and isn't that intrusive but that just justifies my point that unless it's "in your face" I can't make heads or tails of it. Sad but true.

Now a couple of weeks ago I was playing Bejeweled on my pumpkin's laptop (I still haven't kicked the habit) while his Itunes was on and suddenly, despite my focused state, a song sippled through that wasn't really that catchy but it had a distinct melody: Girl in the War by Josh Ritter.



I immediately had to have it so I copied it and a few other of Ritter's songs onto my Ipod. Amongst them was a song that I now listen to about 10 times a day and baring in mind that it also lasts 10 minutes means that for at least 100 minutes a day I am utterly swept away by the amazing lyrics and simple yet breathtaking dramatic sound of Thin Blue Flame. Seeing as music seldom has this effect on me, I just had to share it.

1 comment:

Leen said...

For drama and explosive climaxes, try Explosions in the Sky (what's in a name), Godspeed You Black Emperor, Ef, 65daysofstatic, Mogwai, M83, Sigur Rós, ... ;)