Sunday 25 January 2009

Buying my little heart out

Now that I am officially employed, the fun can really start. Tomorrow will be my first day on the job and will probably be a busy one seeing as I've got a lot to learn. I finally know what my departments are going to be and I've already started doing some research, foolishly thinking I'd never have to do homework again.

The biggest section will be fiction which I'm pretty excited about. I'll have to create their selection which alas has to 80% bestsellers (Khaled Hosseini, Nicci French,... that sort of thing) but I can fill up the other 20% to my own "commercial" liking. Sadly but even more shockingly it seems that I don't know a lot about Dutch literature so I'm going to have to brush up on that.

The second biggest section is a genre I don't know anything about (aren't I perfect for the job?) seeing as it isn't exactly my cup of tea but it's very popular, namely crime fiction. So OK, I've read Dan Brown and I vaguely recall reading a Grisham book long, long ago but that's as far as it goes. I'll probably spend the rest of the day Googling crime authors just to know who's hot and what to order. It's a challenge since I don't really know where to begin but who knows, I might even (god forbid) start to like the genre.

My third section will be cooking. Seeing as I really started to get into cooking and Nigella Lawson last year, I think this could be fun. I am going to make it my mission to offer a broad and tasty range of culinary delights that go far beyond the infamous S.O.S. Piet.

My final section is a mish mash of a few different genres that were too poorly represented to each have their own nook namely arts and culture, how sad is that? This wall basically contains everything ranging from art (in it's widest sense), lifestyle, interior design, history and even biography making it an even bigger challenge than crime fiction as my knowledge of these subjects is somewhere between basic and none existent.

That's about it I guess, come tomorrow I'll by buying the books (I'm actually getting paid to buy, hurray!), trying to sell them by creating colorful displays and advising customers and finally if things get really busy I'll have to assist on the cash register which I'm kinda dreading.

For now, I'm going to enjoy my last free day by sitting back and doing some much needed Googling.

No comments: