Wednesday 17 November 2010

Required Reading


Two weeks ago, I finally got the go-ahead for my very own bookpage at Flanders Today. Yippee! Once a month I will be bringing you the best Flemish fiction accompanied by an interview or event and a bookstore that’s definitely worth a visit, or that’s the plan anyway. The first bookpage (due 22/12) will be dedicated to the bold and blossoming genre of the graphic novel. The pumpkin was very excited indeed.

Although I’ve read many graphic novels over the past few years, mainly under the influence of the pumpkin, I actually don’t know that much about the genre. What were its roots? When did it become mainstream? Who are the major players? I know several authors whose works fill our bountiful bookcases and I also know the difference between a graphic novel and a comic book but, that’s not enough really to tackles such a meaty subject so I’m doing some research (as you can see in my Currently Reading).

I have to admit that I’ve been pleasantly surprised by what I’ve encountered so far and will probably encounter the next few days, seeing as the mailman now brings me beautiful bundles of joy almost daily. Poor guy, his back must be killing him.

While I’m discovering loads of fascinating new authors (more about them later) and making the necessary tax deductable expenses, I’m also laying the foundations of my next article which will focus on contemporary Flemish graphic exploits in general and Ephemaron in particular.

No comments: