Thursday 20 May 2010

Yumi


During my weekly visit to the Antwerp bookstores, I stumbled across a glorious new children’s book that combines my love for Kokeshi cuteness with well, books.

Yumi is a kokeshi and the main character in French illustrator Annelore Parot’s gorgeous new series of Japanese inspired activity books. Yumi portrays a day in the life of a kokeshi which is filled with fun, friends and fashion. This book is incredibly girly and very pretty and is strangely enough aimed at 2 to 6 year olds. Although the story is simple even bordering on silly, the drawings are bright and beautiful and filled with games of the Where’s Waldo persuasion.

I’d never buy this book for a small child though, seeing as the illustrations are quite intricate and the subject matter isn’t something they can relate to but I’m guessing grown-ups and older girls will love these delicious designs although they (excluding myself) would never get this book because it’s an activity book and not exactly groundbreaking literature or art. Quite a pickle.

All things considered, it’s just damn cute!

No comments: