Thursday 13 May 2010

New horizons

I am happy to announce that I've got a new job! Since I left UZA in December, I've been spending most of my time freelancing for Flanders Today, reading, averting family crises and wondering what I was going to do career wise.

I love to write but seeing as the chances are slim to non-existent that I'll be able to make a full-time living out of it, I was forced to look elsewhere. Standaard Boekhandel made me realize that I really like working with books, but not the way they do it. At UZA I learned a very valuable lesson, namely that writing your own texts and rewriting others' are worlds apart and what can I say, I just like doing my own thing. So what does an ex-lit major who does NOT want to teach do?

In January I started browsing the job ads every now and again hoping I would find a vacancy that would be A) interesting B) part-time so I can keep on freelancing and C) in Antwerp seeing as Standaard Boekhandel also taught me that commuting isn't for me. This turned out to be quite a daunting task. Previous jobs have made me realize that when I'm not completely satisfied, I simply quit so I wasn't going to take just any job this time, it had to be perfect.

Two years ago I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life and tried anything remotely interesting but now, several experiences down the line I'm starting to get a clear picture of how I envision my future. I've been home almost 5 months now and I have to admit, I've enjoyed every minute of it which is funny because the 6 months I spent at home before my first job, sent me in a downwards spiral of melancholy and madness.

I now know that there's nothing on earth that gives me as much satisfaction as writing and books which is why I want them to be part of my life and future and now they will be. I will keep on freelancing for Flanders Today for as long as they'll have me and if one day we do part ways, I'll always have my recreational writing to brighten my day. Books however, will now surround me both at home and at work, joy!

This summer I'll start working at De Groene Waterman, an independent bookstore in the center of Antwerp. No commuting, no late nights, no repetitive routines and no Saturdays like Standaard Boekhandel, just three days of books, emails, orders and organizing cultural and literary events. My patience and perpetual nagging have finally been rewarded.

No comments: