Saturday 5 September 2009

Sense and Sensebility and Sea Monsters, why the hell not?

A few months ago Pride & Prejudice and Zombies took us all by surprise. It created a phenomenal hype and headed straight for numerous bestseller lists. When it comes to hype, I have to admit that I usually cave. Not because it's cool or great (experience has taught me it's usually neither) but because I'm so damn curious so naturally when they decided to drop zombies in peaceful Merryton I had to see what all the fuss was about.

Granted, it is quite original to drop hardcore horror in a period piece but also quite disturbing and not in the way the creators intended. The result was classic Jane Austen with a few plot twist to make it "plausible" and some new scenes. Horror fans will think it's lame and Austen fans will be offended, leaving the majority of the population to fend for themselves. I've never been a big Jane Austen fan, that having said, I've only read P&P and seen the countless adaptations, so I didn't feel they desecrated her work. What did annoy me however was the abrupt change in style. Rewriting the entire novel would have been a lot of work but these alien passages simply made me quiver. But I'm glad I read it. It surely was a unique experience.

Quirk Classics, the people behind this piece of unnerving entertainment have decided to take things a little further. Probably still high on the zombies hype, they have now created Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. Experience has taught me to beware but I can't help but wonder...

No comments: