Sunday 20 September 2009

Book Blogger Appreciation Week

This week was apparently Book Blogger Appreciation Week. Although I don't consider myself a pure book blogger seeing as I tend to ramble on about anything that catches my fancy, the majority of my posts are about books. I do follow several book blogs but I'm not an active blogger meaning I don't comment that often and I haven't joined a community. I just like to stay on the sidelines and observe.


Anyway in honor of BBAW I decided to take part in this meme that's been going round this week to show my book blogging potential.

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? I try not to snack when I'm reading seeing as I have a tendency to spill and stain. I do love a hot cup of cocoa or tea when I'm reading but unless I'm sitting at a table, that's as far as it goes.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? I never write in books actually, not because the idea horrifies me but because I know that the chances are slim to non-existent that I will re-read those marked passage. If I really love a certain passage, I'll copy it in one of my notebooks which save me the agony of looking for the book first.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open? I used to use post-its, dog-ears or breaking a book's back are just plain cruel. A few years back however, I bought a cute bookmark in the Winnie the Pooh Shop in Canterbury. It looks a bit tattered due to several cat attacks but it's been my loyal companion for quite a while now, making the journey from book to book.

Fiction, Non-fiction, or both? Fiction. Besides the occaisional biography, non-fiction doesn't interest me that much. What can I say, I just love stories and make belief.

Hard copy or audiobooks? Hard copy, definitely. Audiobooks make me restless seeing as you just have to sit there and listen. I've tried multitasking but end up losing track of the story. I'll take an actual book any day of the week, preferably paperbacks.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put down a book at any point? I always read until the end of chapters. If I don't have enough time to finish one, I won't start a new one. It's that simple.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? I have a dictionary with me when writing, never when reading. Shame on me.

What are you currently reading? The Book of Rapture by Nikki Gemmell.

What was the last book you bought? And the Ass saw the Angel by Nick Cave. I wanted to read his new novel, The Death of Bunny Munro, but decided to start with his first novel instead.

Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time? I always read one book at a time, otherwise it takes to long to finish a novel. I used to have a book for when I was on the bus, a different one before going to bed,... and they just started to drag on plus I started mixing up the stories. Now I like to invest all my time in just one book.

Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read? I love to read when I'm on the bus, the journey just flies by and there's nothing else to do. It's just me, my fictional friends and my Ipod, 20 minutes of bliss twice a day.

Do you prefer series books or stand alone books? I never read series books before I read the Twilight series and the Stieg Larsson trilogy (which is outstanding) this year. I still prefer stand alone books but if the characters are great, it's fun to encounter them every now and again for some new adventures.

Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over? Except for Salinger, I don't have an author whose complete oeuvre I love. I do seem to regularly recommend: The Time Traveller's Wife, Kafka on the Shore, Middlesex, Oryx and Crake and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close just to name a few.

How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc). I organize my books alphabetically by author's last name. 80% of my books are fiction so that works pretty well. The other 20% I organize by genre: children's books, graphic novels, biography, travel, cookery books, art, film,...

No comments: