Monday 25 May 2009

On writing

The past few weeks I've engaged in meaningful conversations with a couple writers and it has made me realize how much I actually love writing. Finally, I've found something I see myself doing for longer than two weeks! Not that I want to compare myself to the likes of recent Golden Owl winners but to quote Peter Verhelst: "At that moment I am at my best" and I couldn't agree more. It is hard to explain but when such a creative frenzy takes over, there's no telling where it will lead (which is the exciting part) or when it will end (which is the sad part seeing as it's usually very quickly). I'm only writing articles (for now) but the statisfaction of creating and even contributing is unbelievably good, intoxicating even.

Now the past few weeks have thought me an incredibly difficult lesson, less is more. It's easy and common knowledge but so hard to live up to when writing but you have to if there's a maximum word count. It just makes me sad to think how many interesting facts and events will never see the light of day because of maximum word count. So many tantilizing tit bits locked inside my laptop, waiting to be freed.

But I have to admit, I have the tendency of going on and on and filling my texts with funny anecdotes, personal touches and ultimately end up enforcing my world view in an upbeat and non-conformist way. Sound familiar? Trust me, many ex-professors of mine can vouch for that. For some reason I believe that entertainment is as important as being profound yet for some, putting those two words in a sentence is believed to be sacrilegious, again I refer to ex-professors. Ultimately we all have our own approach so by all means, do your thing. That's what makes it worth it.

In writing especially, I believe it's important to have your own unique voice. Ten people can write about the same subject, giving the same information but what ultimately matters is the way you say it. Your own style is what makes the difference, that's what distinguishes you from the mass and isn't that one of the reasons we write? To be heard? To leave our mark? This is also one of the arguments why I've never been a group player. There a numerous others but still. I respect other people's opinions, I just can't abide by them which usually leads to conflict but then again, I like conflict. It keeps things interesting. And this is also why my blood began to simmer, only slightly, when me beloved suggested I should maybe adapt to the general style of the publication I'm writing for. Listen very carefully people, never compromise! Be yourself, do your thing and be proud of it! Some people will like you (be happy), some will hate you (ignore them) and some will even love you (blessed be). It's just a matter of taste. And to qoute the legendary Billy Wilder's fabulous final words: "I'm a writer, but then nobody's perfect." To avoid confusion, they were printed on his tombstone. It doesn't get any more final than that.

Now finally, why write? Well for me, it's a moment of pure bliss. I'm literally tingly all over as we speak. Firstly, I do it for own twisted pleasure, secondly because I want to share something with the world and thirdly, there are other definitely less satisfying (trust me, I know) ways to make a living. Once again, my beloved, asked me about my stats one day and if I wouldn't want to crank them up a few notches but they are perfectly fine as they are. I don't want to send the wrong message but we only occasionally disagree. I'm not doing this for the glory people but if I happen to reach one single soul halfway across the world or even the street, that would be enough for me. At the end of the day I'll have already made myself happy and that's a start.

No comments: