Friday 1 May 2009

In loving memory

This week I received the news I had been dreading for a few weeks now, my best friend of 15 years had lost her brave battle against cancer.

Despite the countless tears I've already shed and still am shedding as we speak, somehow it just doesn't seem real. I'm still in denial or something because I can't imagine her not being here anymore. It seems too surreal and probably means that the worst is still to come when it finally sinks in. I'm guessing that'll be after the funeral seeing as it doesn't get anymore final than that. Imagining a world without her just seems impossible.

Katrien was an extraordinary person who I met 15 years ago when she sat next to me during our first ever Latin class. The past few years she has been my rock, my inspiration and especially my motivation. This blog for example is partly because of her. She was my best friend, the one who knew all my secrets, my neuroses, who made me laugh, gave me a shoulder to cry on and was always there when I needed her. I owe her so much. Words can't even describe how much she'll be missed. She was the most honest, brave and loving person I'd ever known. Her life was never easy: she was bipolar, had boulimia, was a cutter and eventually got leukemia but despite all her mindboggling hardships she never gave up and had a lust for life that I am completely in awe of. Compared to her, I was a mesh and a vat of ever-growing neuroses and fear that paralysed me to ever accomplish anything. She will live on in our hearts and will never be forgotten.




Thank you Katrien for simply being you. You have given me more than you could ever imagine and I'll always love you. I hope you have finally found the peace that you so longed for.

1 comment:

Leen said...

I'm sorry for the loss. Sterkte.