Tuesday 3 February 2009

Fictional favorites

Sunday we re-watched one of my favorite movies, Sideways. For some odd reason, whenever a movie contains damaged characters I simply adore it. Who cares about action or special effects, I'll take melancholy people and a moving story any day of the week. Another thing these type of movies have in common is that they are mostly A) independent and B) tell a bitter sweet story about everyday life but in such an uncanny way that even the darkest moments make you smile with a hint of recognition. A few other example and personal favorites are: You and Me and Everyone we know, Buffalo 66, Garden State, Secretary, Happiness,... just to name a few. Somehow "reality" only gets through to me via the glistening glow of a television screen.

That Lovecraft quote I posted a while ago is once again getting the better of me seeing I'm desperately seeking refuge in books and movies lately to shelter myself from everyday life life. One, actually the only perk of working at that bookstore is that I've got a special employees card that gives me 30 % of everything. As soon as I had a moment to spare, I put the card to good use. And that is why I'd now like to introduce you to the newest members of my bookcase:

My Mistress' Sparrow is Dead edited by Jeffrey Eugenides (Great Love stories from Chekhov to Munro)
It's a collection of romantic short stories especially for Valentines. I was drawn to the cover and decided to give it a go. There are some pretty good authors in it and who knows, if I ever start feeling romantic... Plus it was edited by Eugenides whose Middlesex is still one of the best novels ever!

The Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon
I've read a lot of Chabon's work lately and he is slowly becoming one of my favorite authors. This is his latest work and sort of a reinvention on Don Quijote which kind of intrigued and startled me. Sadly I wasn't able to get hold of the gorgeous hardcover version so the tiny but cute paperback had to do.

And finally... I gave in to peer pressure and bought my very first (gulp) Aspe... Seeing as he is the top selling author in my department I decided I should at least read one of his novels just to see what all the fuss is about and thus I am now the "proud" owner of his shortest novel ever, De Japanse Tuin. Just don't tell anyone.

No comments: