Sunday 8 February 2009

All work and no play

Every day for the past week I've been telling myself to blog but somehow I never seem to have the time and even if I did I wouldn't have anything to say. All I seem to do is work. I haven't even been able to read more than 10 pages a day so at the rate I'm going I will finally have finished my much anticipated New Moon by summer.

I did however go to the movies on Friday, my blessed day off. I normally wouldn't talk about new movies but I just want to say: go see Slumdog Millionaire! Now! I was a bit hesitant at first with the whole India and Who wants to be a Millionaire premises but the story is actually not only ingenious but also very beautiful. There are no special effects, no visual high jinks just good old fashioned storytelling with a contemporary twist. Once again, I'm even tempted to give the book (Q and A by Vikas Swarup) a go.

And as usual I did buy some more books this week, online this time. For some reason I still prefer buying online. Even with my reduction, the books are still a lot more expensive in the store and if I want a specific English one I'd have to wait a shocking 4 to 6 weeks while The Book Depository gets them to me in 3 days without shipping costs.

And that is why I bought The Rough Guide to Crime Fiction. I know what you're thinking, for the love of god why? Basically this cute little guide tells me who's hot and who's not in the genre and also includes background info on the author, style and popular books which is going to be incredibly helpful when I've got to place the new spring orders in a genre that's still a mystery to me.

And now something that's even more shocking, I also bought a very pretty and pink edition of Pride and Prejudice. I've seen countless adaptations and I finally realized that I've never read the book. Shame on me! And to make matter's worse, I've never read anything by Jane Austen. I'm starting to wonder how I ever got my degree in English lit.

No comments: