Wednesday 15 June 2011

Bossypants


I doubt there are people alive today who haven't heard of Tina Fey, former Saturday Night Live writer and creator of 30 Rock, or her equally renowned biography Bossypants. The cover alone, of this New York Times bestseller, puts a smile on my face.

Seeing as I'm not American and don't have the pleasure of watching SNL on a weekly basis, I was first confronted with the delightful Mrs. Fey when someone told me I had to watch 30 Rock because it was basically tha bomb (typo intended). Seeing as I'm always on the lookout for a new show, I followed her advice and haven’t looked back since.

30 Rock is based on her experiences while working on SNL. This show is silly yet realistic, outrageous yet relatable, the writing is excellent, the acting phenomenal (gotta love Jack Donaghy) and the characters are truly one of a kind. This show has it all really, if slapstick and crazed / neurotic people are your thing.

What I love the most about this show is the Tina Fey's character Liz Lemon, who tries to keep the writers, actors and her boss from causing total mayhem while at the same time trying to have some kind of (love) life, queue Jon Hamm, sigh... Anyway, this probably says more about me than I'd care to admit but I so totally get her. Despite her own freakish issues she is constantly mobilized to solve other people's crisises when all she want to do is watch TV and eat donuts. What's wrong with that? And yet, she still has a masochistic need to be needed, to be the puppet master because sometimes your inner control freak simply gets the better of you. Been there, done that.

So when the brilliant Fey's biography came out, I just had to read it. I tried waiting until the paperback edition but I just couldn't wait that long. Bossypants isn't a classic autobiography, it filled with chronological anecdotes from her youth, SNL, honeymoon, 30 Rock and naturally some life changing affirmations. Tina is just how I imagined her to be: self-deprecating, wise and above all honest.

Bossypants is a very funny memoir full of interesting behind the scenes gossip, musings on what it's like to be a female comedy writer and a little intimate details that make this book a joy to read. It's easy to relate to Tina Fey who is also a wonderful writer and someone every woman would want as their best friend basically. All hail Tina Fey!

No comments: