Thursday 24 March 2011

Thursday night, oh what a night!

Thursday evening to me, is also known as quality TV time. The pumpkin’s out for his weekly jammin’ session, leaving me on my own to snuggle up with Molly on the couch and watch our favorite shows. Include some tea and chocolate and you’ve got, in my humble opinion, a slice of heaven. Sadly, all my shows are dwindling down. Boardwalk Empire ended, as well as Mad Men and The Tudors (period pieces how I love thee) but luckily, season six of House MD is waiting for me.

Plan B, if I ever run out of shows on a Thursday night (God forbid) is watch corny movies that I know will make the pumpkin’s stomach churn such as last weeks’ Brideshead Revisited and An Education.

Brideshead Revisited is based on Evelyn Waugh’s classic novel about captain Charles Ryder who during the Second World War is confronted with his past as a young man at Brideshead, a stately manor where the lifestyle was decadent and the people ruthless. It’s the roaring Twenties in all its glory. Brideshead Revisited is an elegant and passionate movie filled with forbidden desire, guilt and gorgeous costumes. And as usual I am now dying to read the book. A book club suggestion, maybe?

An Education (based on Lynn Barber’s memoires) actually catapulted itself into my all time favorite movies list after one viewing, it’s that good! The story is pretty basic, it’s the 1960ies and an innocent schoolgirl falls for an older swanky guy who teaches her that you can’t learn everything in school. I know it’s cliché but trust me, cliché in a good way. The screenplay was written by Nick Hornby so the dialogue is great, the atmosphere is luscious and the acting phenomenal. It basically made my inner schoolgirl giddy with decadent delights.

No comments: