Wednesday 16 March 2011

Endings and Beginnings


Last night after four years of arduous duty, Pink Pod aka my IPod died on me. She was a pretty and feisty little thing who gave me hours of auditory delights, may she rest in peace. What troubles me the most however, isn’t the loss of my loyal little friend but the loss of many songs that I obtained over the years from several computers that are sadly also no longer with us and neither are the original audio files making the extinction of my precious even greater.

I am now contemplating getting a new one, temporarily using the Pumpkin’s old one or using my multi-functional phone like the Pumpkin suggests. I’ve had my Nokia E71 for over a year now and 80% of its functions are still a mystery to me. Ok, I call, text, take pictures and go online occasionally but that’s about it. The organizer, GPS, MP3 player, QuickOffice, eReader, dictionary, MP4 maker and dictaphone remain virginal or mostly celibate. For some reason the thought of using one device for all these things makes me very nervous because when one breaks down, you lose them all, temporarily at least. Plus I also love cute gadgets and the fact that they’d all be replaced by one tiny screen makes me quiver and not in a good way. I don’t know really, maybe I should take the Pumpkin’s advice and just play with it, my phone that is. It’s a shame that she might never live up to her true potential really.

On I more environmental friendly note, I finally started cultivating my (herb) garden. The kitchen is now filled with several buckets of dirt that will hopefully sprout mint, basil, parsley, chili peppers, tomatoes and strawberries. Seeing as our apartment is basically one giant greenhouse, the tomatoes and peppers usually grow like weeds and basil and parsley were a huge success several years ago. Mint however, is this year’s newcomer and the strawberries are an annual experiment that traditionally fails but as long as there’s dirt, there’s hope I say.

No comments: