Monday 5 July 2010

Water for Elephants


We've been back from Lisbon since last week but for some reason I'm having a hard timing picking up my old routines like blogging and reading for that matter. The trip was great by the way, but just a little too hot for my taste. I didn't buy any books or book related items this time, just some lovely Winnie the Pooh underwear, no comment.

Anyway, the last book I finished was Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and that was about two weeks ago, still haven't started a new one yet. Well, technically that isn't true. I started David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day on the plane and although I think he's hilarious, the book consists out of unrelated autobiographical short stories making me not that enthusiastic to rush to the end any time soon. I'm saving them for when I'm in the mood.

Water for Elephants is a historical novel set in 1930s America. It focuses on Jacob Jankowski and his experiences in a travelling circus called The Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. His parents died during his final year at veterinary school and he is now left both homeless and penniless, the Great Depression will do that to a guy. He drops out of school in search of a job and finds one looking after the animals of this crazy circus. And as always, he also finds love...

The atmosphere is reminiscent of Carnivale, times are tough, people are cruel and far from ordinary. I particularly loved the detailed 1930s setting and colorful cast of characters that came with the circus although some were a little cliché (cruel animal tamer, beautiful starlet, naive newcomer and off course, a midget) just like the unavoidable love story that seemed a bit hasty. The animals on the other hand were very engaging, each and every one of them with their cute quirks and habits.

The main story is occasionally alternated with another plot namely, that of Jacob as a lonely old man in a retirement home which is simply heartbreaking considering his adventurous past. I guess it's this part of the novel that moved me the most due to its simplicity and honesty.

Canadian author Sara Gruen's most commercial success to date is actually pretty good despite all my previous remarks. It's not thrilling or highly original but it's a good old fashioned love story in an unusual and intriguing setting making it a lovely and light summer read.

No comments: