Wednesday 2 June 2010

The Goddess Guide


My mother has always tried to make me more girly. Without the occasional brutal intervention, she would shower me with nick-nacks, make-up and baby pink clothing. Her idea of a perfect afternoon is splurging on clothes, crèmes and anything with angels on it (long story). Sadly, I like to read. As you might know, I am not a big fan of shopping, ok I love buying books, DVD’s and polka dot dresses but that’s about it. Seeing as I’m no Paris Hilton, she kinda lucked out there but that doesn’t keep her from trying.

Her latest attempt to win me over to the dark side was The Goddess Guide. She actually thought that because it’s a book it might get through to me. The Goddess Guide is made to look like a fashionista’s scrapbook and is actually one giant collage of little texts, drawings and photographs. Inside you find everything a girl should know about where to shop, pantyhose, packing your suitcase, facial care, Ebay, nylon, Christian Louboutin, bra’s, bags, zits, ironing, birds, bling, wine, Iceland, art and cellulite just to name a few absurdities.

It’s fun, pretty but the entire concept really made me laugh proving that I’m definitely not the target audience. The lay-out is impressive and the cover is truly luscious and velvety. It’s a great gift idea but I doubt I’ll ever actually read it. But who knows, it might come in handy if I ever have a, god forbid, kashmir crisis.

No comments: