Tuesday 13 April 2010

Remember Me


I decided when I started The Sumptuous City that I would never blog about recent film releases as they already get enough attention but for once I'm going to break that rule and talk about Remember Me.

I went to see this movie with my mother because she wanted to drool over Pierce Brosnan but he wasn’t the only piece of eye candy on display. He was accompanied by the ever scrumptious Robert Pattinson in his first post Twilight cinematic outing so I thought what the hell, right?

My expectations were minimal. The movie poster made me think it would be the average boy meets girl romantic slush fest and the fact that Robert Pattinson’s involved prepared me for a theater full of swooning teenage girls. In the end I was very right and also very wrong on both accounts.

Women of all ages gathered to watch this unexpected gem. The story is pretty simple: Rob plays Tyler, a guy who lost his way after his brother’s suicide and Emilie de Ravin plays Ally, a girl who’s coping with her mother’s death. They meet and… But this isn’t a random love story, it’s so much more. The story is very realistic and after a while you almost feel part of it. The acting is also pretty good. Pattinson still does a lot of brooding but he has evolved from his miserable stalker / vampire persona.

I really loved the characters who were all very human and likeable despite some of them being utter bastards but the screenplay was the icing on the cake. It was fresh, realistic, poignant and very moving. The quick witted dialogue flowed so naturally and was spot on. I thought Remember Me was an incredibly touching and perfectly executed low budget cinematic treat. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry and haunt you for quite some time due to the exceptional (and apparently controversial) twist at the end that had 99% of the theater including my mother in tears.

I just hope the general public gives this wonderfully thought provoking film the attention it so rightfully deserves and doesn’t just label it as teenage drivel.

No comments: