Sunday 17 April 2011

London 2011

We just got back from another exhausting trip to London. Don't get me wrong, it was great but we always return utterly knackered seeing as we do almost everything on foot so we can take in the sights.


We started with the London Book Fair which was a big gathering of agents, publishers, booksellers and suppliers aka the in crowd. It was fun browsing the booths but the bubbling atmosphere and added stress of customers was missing seeing as it was solely for people in the business making it a dry and slightly dreary affair that was brought back to life by various lectures and author interviews. We attended a lecture on ePub which was very interesting according to the Pumpkin, I just studied the floorplan.

Besides an abundance of books, our trip also consisted of a kick-ass boutique hotel in Hendon, the science museum which is huge, the Saatchi gallery which was surprisingly small and made me doubt the relevance of modern art once again,


Hummingbird cupcakes (yeah baby!), the Camden Markets, Notting Hill, loads of squirrel-infused walks and picnics in the park, several restaurants that I’d been dying to try like Leon and Canteen (sadly the World Food Cafe is no longer), a Muslim Fundamentalist demonstration which freaked me out (understatement) and lastly some mandatory shopping at Marks & Spencers, Boots and HMV. Oh, and I also got myself some funky new All Stars and a hot pink Ugly Doll (curtousy of the Pumpkin).


And for the first time ever, I managed not to buy anything at Waterstones because I came to the shocking conclusion that I already owned everything that was remotely interesting. There was basically nothing left to buy making me feel anxious, unfulfilled and aware of my moderate shopping addiction.

No comments: