Wednesday 10 March 2010

Waking Sleeping Beauty


Seeing as I'm not a big fan of non-fiction, it may not come as a surprise to you that I'm also not big on documentaries, except biographical and natures ones where no animals die at least. Waking Sleeping Beauty meets all these criteria.

This documentary gives us a behind the scenes look at the Disney animation studios from 1984 until 1994, in other words my childhood when I was completely in to Disney (and I still am). The main reason I want to see this, is pure youth sentiment but it also gives us an interesting look at how the studio recovered from a rather bleak post-war period and went on to make classics such as Beauty and the Beast, Alladin and of course The Lion King.

This "bleak period" produced films such as The Black Cauldron and The Great Mouse Detective, movies I vividly remember watching in the cinema when I was an itty bitty girl and fell madly in love with as they were my first cinema and Disney experiences. Looking back, they are indeed darker than your average contemporary animated film but they still rocked my world and might be partially to blame for my bright and cheery persona.

During this period most of their movies bombed at the box office and the production company was even going to be evicted, forcing them to put their head together and make something wonderful: The Little Mermaid aka Disney's rebirth.

The documentary uses archival footage cut from over 250 hours of footage, photos and narration from newly recorded audio interviews featuring some incredibly young versions of renowned animators, directors and producers as Don Bluth, Tim Burton, John Musker, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Don Hahn, John Lasseter and even Roy Disney.

Now you can enjoy the unlikely story of how the magic was recreated.


No comments: