Friday 1 February 2008

To be or not

I got a package in the mail yesterday with Shakespeare in it, Shakespeare by Bill Bryson to be precise. It’s a cute little book that’s been intriguing me for a while now. Firstly, I like Bryson’s style as he is always capable of telling his (often but not in this case biographical) tales so enthusiastically and matter-of-factly that you can't help but smile while usually learning a thing or two. Another reason why I wanted / needed / craved this book was because it’s about Shakespeare. Seeing as I’m an English major you’d think I’d have at least some basic knowledge of the man and his work. And you’d be right, just barely. Sadly my knowledge of Shakespeare has mostly been stimulated by movies and plays, not university. And seeing as every time I say I’m an English major people go: “Ah yes, Shakespeare and such.” I should at least know a bit more about the guy. Don’t you think? Especially seeing as he’s the first English writer that apparently springs to mind. And knowing Bryson, it’ll even be fun to boot.

No comments: