Sunday 24 June 2007

Vintage Rock

Friday night I was freezing my little tushy off in Dessel amidst a crowd of thousands as we were anticipating the arrival of a phenomenal band, Aerosmith. I’ve been a huge fan for many, many years now and I had finally gotten a chance to see them in the flesh.

When I was a little girl I was captivated by their lush videos that complemented their songs to a T while at the same time having the allure of a short film due to the presence of many rising stars. Their songs were catchy, dramatic, full of life and able to touch everyone’s rebellious side. Their musical evolution over the years has made them major innovators in American hard rock, pop, glam, blues and rap and has also inspired legions of rock artists that came after them. Aerosmith's longevity (37 years and still going strong), durability, and adaptability have allowed them to sustain high levels of popularity, acclaim and success. Due to their string of ground-breaking hard-rock albums, they also hold the record for the most gold, platinum, and multi-platinum albums by an American band.

Anyway, they gave one hell of a show (including a priceless Hunter S. Thompson-esque clip at the end) performing various hits and a few lesser known gems. Steven Tyler was doing his best to stay true to his image as rock “god” by hogging the spotlight whenever he could. Oddly enough his lavish presence with a balanced mix between frenzy and cool reminded me of a future version of Jack Sparrow. But despite Tyler’s efforts to steal the show, my praise goes out to Joe Perry who played his guitar like there was no tomorrow and showed us what old-school rock is all about.

Highlights were of course the classics: Crying, Walk This Way, I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing and my personal favorite Dream on (sampled by Eminen in 2002 in Sing for the Moment) which gave me goose bumps on top of the ones I already had due to a mild state of hypothermia.

And last but not least, I would like to thank my dear friends Katrien and Diedrik for making it possible for me to join them on Graspop. Stand up and take a bow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my *blush*

Glad you had fun! Next year again? ;)